
Depending on the temperature difference of the food item, it may take 10s for the reading to stabilize.
To measure the temperature, all of the ~1cm tip must be inserted into the food item. Otherwise, it underestimates the temperature of hot food. This can be problematic for thin items like shrimp.
I washed it in the top rack of a dishwasher, and the unit fully survived. After the wash, it turned on, and measured the temperature of my tap water in hottest position as 131F, which seems correct, and agrees with my other food thermometer.
Every other thermometer I tried, even some that claim to be dishwasher safe, didn't survive a wash. Either they would not turn on, or become inaccurate.
It did, however, stop working when it fell from the top of my oven (around 1 meter high). The fall caused a crack on the LCD.
Works as expected. We really like that it lights up for grilling outside at night. I would give it 5 stars but it’s already showing the dreaded condensation on the screen. That’s been the early death of previous Taylor digital thermometers.
The best was to consistently cook it to have a good thermometer! As a professional chef I keep one in my pocket at all times. , even when at home cooking . You will always have the perfect steak, chicken, fish or anything you make .
Indispensable. I don't use it as much as my knives. But I use it a lot more than a battery of other kitchen tools I own.
Worked with this kind of gauge for years. Got it for my daughter

Feature Product
- Model #: 9847EFDA
- Easy to read LCD readout
- On/Off switch
- Hold feature
Description
Taylor 5* Commercial Waterproof Instant Read ThermometerThe anti-microbial plastic storage case inhibits growth of pathogens. This thermometer has a temperature range of -40° to 450° F or -40° to 230° C.Model #: 9847EFDA Easy to read LCD readout. On/Off switch. Hold feature. One second updates. Waterproof. 2.75" stainless steel stem NSF listed Complies with HACCP requirements Height: 1.35" Width: 5.2" Length: 9.9" Weight: .16 lb
What can I say? It is accurate, well made, and inexpensive. A granddaughter loaned me one and I didn't want to give it back until I had one of my own. This was one of those things that I didn't realize I needed, and couldn't do without, until I used it once. If you cook you need one of these.
Acquires temperature very quickly
Worked perfectly. Background light is bright and temperature is displayed large and easily readable.
Yes it is as I need.
I have had two of these thermometers, both given to me by my husband who works in a commercial kitchen. This thermometer is NSF-listed and works from -40 to 450 degrees F. It's also waterproof and shock-proof, so you don't have to worry about dropping it on the floor or into water. The spec sheet also says it has antimicrobial properties and is dishwasher safe. I've never put it into the dishwasher since it's so easy to just wash off in running water. The digital display is large and bright, and it shows the temperature of the food in about 10 seconds. I use it for everything from meat, bread, pies and reheating leftovers in the microwave. I've even used it to make candy and it worked perfectly. I don't deep fry food, but you can also use it for that purpose. Sometimes I just turn it on to see the room temperature as well.
My only complaints are about changing the battery - the first thermometer I had wouldn't come back on after I put in a new battery. However, that one had been used in the commercial kitchen so who knows what type of abuse it endured there before I got it. The second one has worked for about 2 years now and I haven't needed to change the battery yet. The other thing I don't particularly care for is the cord on the probe cover. I don't know what type of professional chef would be wearing this around the neck. Most chef coats have a pocket especially for a thermometer. The cord just gets in the way and I've gotten it wet a lot of times.
