
Can I just say that working with Spectrum is a pain-in-the-***!
When I used this modem for a 300mbps link with Spectrum, I was initially only getting 30mbps download speed. Spectrum was adamant that they had passed all the correct configuration files to the modem, and that I should contact TP-Link for additional support. Having worked in the networking business I knew that all cable modem hardware is "locked" and that all firmware/config files must be provided by the cable company, but I reach out to TP-Link (who was very responsive!), but they told me what I already knew, all firmware/config updates have to come directly from the cable provider. There is not even a UI or root access to the router to manually install firmware updates.
So we went back and forth between Spectrum and TP-Link. TP-Link said I needed a later version of the firmware, but Spectrum said that they did not have that version of the firmware for this specific model (they said that version of the firmware was for a later version).
Finally on the third call to Spectrum, I got someone who seemed to know what they were talking about, and told me that final provisioning happened in the middle of the night, so that I should wait overnight before replacing it.
Sure enough, next morning, full 300+mbps download speed, but interestingly enough, the firmware version was the same, the initial 1.0.0 version. So there was obviously something on the Spectrum side that had me "quarantined" to the slow download speed.
I'm just listing this all here, incase anyone else has a similar issue.
I recently purchased xfinity internet for my apartment & I am renting one of their modem/router. Unfortunately that router I am renting out for $10 a month isnt cutting it for me. My package is above 100Mbps & my average speeds were 30-50 Mbps.
At first I purchased the Netgear N600 modem/router & I did not see any improvement, in fact it was worse than the modem Im renting from Comcast. The Netgear had worse range! After returning it & getting a refund I did some research & found out many people receive better results with buying a seperate router & modem. Although I do not like the look of having two boxes instead of one but I do like the results! I purchased the TP-LINK DOCSIS 3.0 TC-7620 & Archer C7 AC1750 & I am absolutely loving the results so far my speeds have tripled if not quadrupled!
Speedtest.net Results
Ethernet connection: 91Mbps
Wireless 2.4G connection: 95Mbps
Wireless 5G connection: 120 Mbps
Pros: Install was a breeze approx. 15-20 min & didn't even have to call comcast like I did with the Netgear.
Dual Band 2.4 & 5
Long Range
Cons: None.
*note 2.4g connection has fast speed & long range but has more interference from other devices. 5g connection has faster speeds & less range but less interference.
Will post an update later on.
Super easy to set up. Make sure you write down your account number from your Internet Serve Provider before you hook up the new modem. Once the new modem is connected to the internet and to your computer via an ethernet cable wait a few minutes. After about 2-3 minutes you can open a new browser window and you will be directed to your ISP's device setup page. Once it's set up you will be able to connect to the internet on LAN only. If you have a wireless router all you have to do is power down and unplug the modem and router. Wait 60 seconds and then plug them back in and turn them on. The whole process took about 15 minutes including doing the power cycle to connect with my WiFi router (TP-Link Archer C9).
Tired of paying Comcast 10.00 per month , Arrived in two days . It showed up today opened box connected cables from old modem first , then plugged the power in . then went to [...]on my phone and in 5 minutes it was working at home internet service restored at home . boxing up old modem and taking it to the ups store to return it back to them
My old modem was slow , it was an UBEE DDM3513 it was a rental I called Comcast and they told me it was slow because it was being phased out ( THEY call it END OF LIFE ) even tho it is a D 3.0 . Comcast tried to rent me a more expensive modem , more upsell tactics .
went to their site [...] and searched all the options and purchased this directly from amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CVOLKKQ/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_1)
Happy it works and no more rental fee , Now to cut Cable TV and move to RoKu and Amazon Prime
Don’t even hesitate! But first check on your providers account or website to see which TP link modems are compatible so you don’t get the wrong one.
When I got this I had all kinds of instructions on how to do it from reading the reviews here. But I just unpluged the old modem and plugged the new one in exactly how the old one was and presto all the beautiful lights started to work. However I have spectrum and I did have to call them to activate it on my account, but was no big deal only took a few minutes. My Internet speed has increased and my devices are perkier. I also have a TP link router I purchased from Amazon, so bought the tp link modem for better compatibility. My spectrum agent actually took the $10 off my monthly bill right away and said just to bring in thei old modem when I could. Wish I had done this a year or two ago! Ps: One thing I had worried about is if I would have to re-configure or re-pair my security system cameras and ring doorbells but that was not the case. And they work better now, too.

Feature Product
- Eliminate Rental Fee: Eliminate your cable modem monthly rental fee
- Cable Modem Only: You will also need a router to enable Wi-Fi. Channel Width : 96MHz(16 channels) / 6MHz (single channel). Modulation : 64 QAM / 256 QAM. Operating System - Windows 8/Windows 7/ Windows Vista, Service Pack 1 or later/ Windows XP, Service Pack 2. or later/ Mac 10.4 or later (Ethernet Connection Only) UNIXLinux
- Faster Speed: DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem provides 16X faster download speed than DOCSIS 2.0 for an ultra-fast performance; Channel bonding of up to 16 downstream and 4 upstream channels, provide data rates up to 680Mbps for download and 143Mbps for upload
- ISP CERTIFIED: Great for Cable Internet plans up to 300Mbps with XFINITY from Comcast, Spectrum (Including Charter, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks), Cox, Suddenlink, Mediacom, and WOW
- Industry Leading Support: 2-year warranty and free 24/7 technical support; J.D. Power Ranked TP-Link "Highest in Customer Satisfaction for Wireless Routers in 2017"
Description
Get the most out of your cable Internet and eliminate monthly rental fees with the TC-7620 modem, certified for XFINITY from Comcast and Time Warner Cable. Stream video in HD and game online seamlessly with the high-performance modem's 686Mbps download speed. DOCSIS 3.0 technology enhances your network's security and creates faster throughput with an innovative channel bonding feature.Compatible with cable internet plans up to 300Mbps*,Compatible with major cable ISPs, including XFINITY from Comcast, Cox Communications, Spectrum and more.
Maximum cable internet uplink and downlink speeds are the transmission rates that the device is capable of and certified for based on CableLabs DOCSIS 3.0 technology. Actual cable internet uplink and downlink speeds are not guaranteed and will vary according to your cable provider, MSO provisioning, and the speed tier of your subscription. Some modems are not compatible with certain cable providers. Please check with your cable provider to verify whether this modem is compatible with their service. Broadband cable service is required to use this device. Not compatible with voice services.
Not sure about all the tech talk and whining in other reviews about this gigabit and that megawhatever, but this router has worked flawlessly in our home.
We realized a month ago that we were actualizing ~18 MBS download speeds on an internet package rated at 100 MBS DL/20 MBS UL. Couple of speed tests on WiFi and then at the router LAN port identified the issue as our existing modem router and Spectrum advised it was because we were using a single-band unit for a package that provided dual-band service, so required a compatible modem & router setup.
They sent me a list of “tested & compatible” modems, routers and modem/router combo units, I did a bunch of reading and chose this TP Link one from the list.
Shipped fast (of course), was super easy to set up and has been working great since, providing blistering internet speeds to the Apple TV, Smart TV, four iPads, three iPhones, gaming consoles, work computer, MacBook, ADT Pulse security system, four WeMo light switches, AirPrint printer, various other Wi-Fi-enabled gadgets I’m sure I’m forgetting and a partridge and a pear tree we use constantly in our home.
Zero complaints so far.
*All if that said, should our unit crap out or otherwise start giving us problems in the next months as others have described in their reviews, I’ll absolutely come back here, eat some humble pie and update this review
Update: HA. Can’t say whether I asked for problems posting such an optimistic review so early on but about a month after purchase I started having problems. Not being an IT expert, I can’t articulate exactly what the root cause was but the major symptom was the unit “dropping” connectivity and all of our wireless devices would suddenly become unconnected to WiFi. I went into the TP-Link interface to look at the Event Log and found a bunch of connectivity errors, did some reading online which was helpful but none of the issues I read about seemed related to what I was experiencing. Next, I shot an email to TP-Link customer service on a Saturday asking for help, included a cut & paste of the Event Log and early Monday morning I had a response from Cherry @ TP-Link. Based on the Event Log stuff she said she suspected interference in the WiFi connection and recommended a couple of setting changes. Later that day I made the recommended changes and haven’t had a single issue since. Equally impressive was Cherry dropping by a couple of times over the next week asking if the connectivity issues had resurfaced or if I had had any new problems.
Let’s recap TP-Link’s phenomenal CS:
-Received a response to my request for help on the next business day
-Their first response fixed my problem
-The customer service person Cherry shot me no fewer than two emails in the following week to see if my problems had returned
We’ll see if our issues are resolved long term, but I couldn’t be more impressed with TP-Link’s product support. Thanks Cherry!
I have Time Warner (Spectrum) and it was easy to swap out. The one I owned before was 4x4 so upgrading to 16x4 which improved my speed. In order to get this to work you must call spectrum, ask to speak to a technician. Tell the tech you got a new modem and you need to give them the MAC address of your new modem. Give the tech the new MAC address to modem then connect it. Wait 10 minutes and everything will work, you will need to restart all the switches, Wireless access points and computers as the new modem will get a new IP address.
We've been using this modem for a couple of months since we switched from Verizon Enhanced DSL to Comcast's Xfinity Blast! offering. This modem has been rock-solid and works amazingly well with our established home network. The overhead alone with this modem is more than double what our total connection was with Verizon.
I've had very good luck with TP-Link routers, switches and extenders over the last few years. I'd highly recommend this modem if you're a new cable Internet customer, or looking to get rid of your rental modem.
I use Spectrum internet. The modem they gave me was an all-in-one modem/router. I did not like that idea. So, I purchased a TP-Link router. I called spectrum and had them place the combo into bridged mode (meaning it would become just a modem).
Nearly twice a day for a year my internet would hang. Everything would look connected but if you try to visit a webpage or ask Alexa a question you'd get "no internet found" and red ring saying please connect me, respectively. If I unplugged and replugged the modem my internet would come back. Spectrum came out and looked at my wall plug, my setup and said it should be good. Nope.
I bought this modem to replace their garbage and I have not had 1 single disconnect. That's 2 months. The speed is fast, the setup simple. Called Spectrum, gave them the info they needed to activate the modem (yes you have to call your internet service provider and give them some info no matter what modem you purchase) and bam, internet.
I purchased the 16x4 and the reasoning for that was based on what service I have. The channel bonding is info that is available on your internet website. Get equal or slightly greater to maximize your purchase.
I finally decided to bite the bullet and purchase a modem, I was fed up paying Comcast $10/per month to rent one. For the price of this modem your ROI is about 6 months when you consider the price to rent a modem from your ISP.
The modem I was renting from Comcast was decent so I haven't noticed any significant difference in performance with this modem. With that said, I haven't had any issues with this modem, so far it's provided 24/7 up time with solid connection speeds. I would highly recommend this modem.
One thing to keep in mind when purchasing this modem. This modem supports DOCSIS 3.0 which is completely fine for now. However, if you want to future-proof your hardware, I would suggest investing in a modem that supports DOCSIS 3.1--unfortunately that also comes with a price. If price is a concern, then just buy this one--you'll be good to go for quite some time.
